Ah, yes planning for a move. This is time you really want to work with checklist. Moving can be stressful and takes a great deal of personal band-width. Do a “data-dump” and get the details OFF your mental hard drive and onto a checklist or into a moving binder. What it will save you in time, happiness and sanity – PRICELESS! In this two-part blog series we help you prioritize and plan the month or two before your move. We provide helpful check-lists, reminders about questions you need to ask and information about important details that often get overlooked.
Organization and Planning for Your Move
Create a Moving Binder – Sure there are apps out there and we will discuss them in the future. When making a big solo move across country or with your family across town, we find a binder to be the most effective solution to taming the monster of Moving Mayhem and is HOME for ALL the info you need at your fingertips.
Moving Binder – What You’ll Need
- 3-ring binder
- Calendar pages for the 2-3 months leading up to your move and one month afterwards.
- Zip pouch for receipt
- Pen, permanent marker and highlighter
- Divider Tabs – For sections like contacts/resources, repairs, warrantees, to-do this week, personal docs, paperwork for movers, reservations for move-related travel, medical records, insurance papers, etc.
- Notebook paper
- 3-ring pockets and folders
- Page protectors
- Notebook organizers that hold business cards
- Single page 3-hole punch
- Sticky notes to mark important things
What Goes Into Your Moving Binder?
Remember, while technology is great, perfect connectivity is not always guaranteed – “Can you hear me now?” This is where your Moving Binder comes in handy and could be a Lifesaver!
- Important contacts & phone numbers
- Hotel, rental car & flight reservation numbers paperwork related to move
- Birth certificates
- Marriage license
- Social security card(s)
- Insurance docs – car – home/renters – life – health – other
- Medical records – shot records – prescription list – medical allergies
- Car title(s)
- Copy of your roadside assistance card or paperwork
- Rental application or new home title
- Checklist of bill termination notices & address changes
- A couple extra bank checks
- Phone numbers for bank and lost/stolen credit cards
- Coupons, gift cards and discount cards
- List of boxes/contents on moving truck
- Paperwork for movers
- Copy of your new lease and proof of payment
- Spare set of keys to your new digs
- Checklist for contents of your “LAST ON – FIRST OFF” box
Set Up a Moving Calendar
A moving calendar helps you see the BIG picture as well as the daily details. It contains the months before and weeks after your move and will help you stay on track. When you’re in the middle of a move and juggling details, time can easily get away from you. Do your best to come up with a comprehensive schedule beforehand and stick to it. It may feel like too much structure, however, structure and planning equal 90% of a successful move. A sense of humor and flexibility make up the remaining 20%. Yes, moving requires 110% and we know you are up to the task. Let us know if you need help.
Cummings Moving Company | Residential & Small Business Moving & Storage | San Francisco Movers
Cummings Moving Company is a family owned and operated moving & storage company proud of its well-established reputation in San Francisco and throughout the region – reflected in their extended residential, small business and Realtor referrals. The company is a female, minority, and veteran-owned and operated moving company with over 45 years of exceptional client service – spanning the entire country and beyond. For more information about quality, stress-free moving, in San Francisco please call 415-387-4000 or from the Peninsula call 650-629-3000. Request a Free Moving Quote HERE or continue to explore our website and San Francisco Blog.
The advice on our website and blog is provided as a courtesy and is intended for informational purposes only. It is offered as-is with no warranty expressed or implied. We hope it provides you with helpful information that you can use.