Welcome back! Wow, this has been quite the series. We know that planning a move in San Francisco, or anywhere in the country for that matter, can be a major project.
Our objective with this series is to make your move the best experience it can possibly be. We covered quite a bit of territory and dug into things you need to know before, during and after your move. We have compiled a table of contents to help you find the topics of interest to you.
Take a look and see if there is something you would like to learn more about.
Table of Contents – 20 Tip Topics for Planning a Move
Below is a list of 20 topics we covered in this Blog Series: Planning a Move in San Francisco. Please make note of which part of the series you can find the topic and click the link for that part of the series.
- Part 1 – Help Planning a Move in San Francisco
- Part 1 – 5 Must Know Tips Before You Move
- Part 2 – Planning a Move in San Francisco – Best Moving Tip
- Part 2 – “Last On–First Off” or “Open First” Box
- Part 3 – When Planning a Move Decide How to Pack
- Part 3 – Change of Address and Give Notice to Utility Companies
- Part 3 – Prepare the Refrigerator
- Part 4 – Planning a Move with Computers and Electronics
- Part 4 – Take Stock of the Valuables You Have
- Part 4 – Think Ahead if Planning a Move with Specialty Items
- Part 5 – Things to Consider if Planning a Move in San Francisco
- Part 5 – Renting a DIY Truck
- Part 5 – Measure Your Furniture
- Part 5 – Measure Your New Space
- Part 6 – Divide and Conquer Your DIY Move
- Part 6 – Do I Tip My Professional Moving Crew?
- Part 6 – Tip Totals for Your Budget
- Part 6 – Tipping on a Cross Country Move
- Part 6 – Be Ready to Go on Moving Day – Critical When Planning a Move
- BONUS – Top 10 Things to Do After Moving (see below)
Top 10 Things to Do After Moving – Think Ahead When Planning a Move
When you arrive at your new home, there are several things you’ll need to do right away. We’ve compiled a list of the Top 10 to help you out.
- Set up new electric, water, gas, trash and recycling service. Best to call in advance so the service is on when you arrive (or at least in the process of being set up).
- Set up cable and internet.
- Consider local weather! If you just moved from CA to Chicago in October, get a bag of road salt and a snow shovel and throw it in your car. Regardless of where you have moved, ask a local resident about the FIRST things you should do now that you have arrived. Locals know best!
- Make a shopping list of urgent necessities: Food, sundries, furniture and appliances big and small.
- If you have moved to a new state, find out how much time you have to get a new driver’s license and make sure your car complies with local rules and regulations.
- Get a lead on a good mechanic! If we told you how often a client’s car breaks down just after a move, you would take this advice! Try CarTalk.com, a local review site or ask your new neighbors. It’s like an umbrella… have it on hand and you won’t need it!
- Check your car insurance! Your current car insurance company may not underwrite in your new state. Best to find that out NOW!
- Find a good Doctor, Dentist… and figure out where the hospital, police and fire department are. Post a list of these numbers on the fridge!
- Let your health insurance company know you have moved or call your agent. What you may not know is tat there may be an adjustment up or down in your premium or the company you have may not underwrite in your new state. With changes in healthcare, you likely need to be underwritten in the state in which you have your primary residence. Regardless, if you have moved out of state, something has likely changed – Put this on the top of your list right under the next item…
- MOST IMPORTANT! Find out who delivers GREAT PIZZA at late hours. And, if you like, find one who delivers beer too! Figure this out BEFORE you move and put this Very Important Number in your cell phone! It’s amazing how good a fresh slice and cold beverage tastes at the end of a move. Chinese and Thai work too!
Cummings Moving Company | Residential & Small Business Moving & Storage | San Francisco Movers
Cummings Moving Company is a family owned and operated moving & storage company proud of its well-established reputation in San Francisco and throughout the region – reflected in their extended residential, small business and Realtor referrals. The company is a female, minority, and veteran-owned and operated moving company with over 45 years of exceptional client service – spanning the entire country and beyond. For more information about quality, stress-free moving, in San Francisco please call 415-387-4000 or from the Peninsula call 650-629-3000. Request a Free Moving Quote HERE or continue to explore our website and San Francisco Blog.
The advice on our website and blog is provided as a courtesy and is intended for informational purposes only. It is offered as-is with no warranty expressed or implied. We hope it provides you with helpful information that you can use.
Photo Credit – A special note of appreciation to Lee Abel for her wonderful photo.