While you may not need all of these for your move, this handy checklist will make sure you think of everything as you get prepared. Print this out or bookmark this page and use it when shopping for supplies.
- Small STURDY “book boxes” for heavy items
- Good quality medium & large moving boxes for clothes, bedding and pillows
- Good quality wardrobe boxes for coats and clothes – make sure the wardrobe bar is included
- Specialty boxes for art, mirrors, lamps, etc.
- Styrofoam sleeves
- Bubble wrap
- Biodegradable packing peanuts
- Quality packing tape – more rolls than you imagine possible
- Large, permanent, BLACK markers – several
- Large, permanent, RED markers – at least one
- Big yellow highlighter
- Labels and color coded stickers as needed
- Bundles of packing paper
- Furniture dollies and hand trucks
- Furniture blankets
- Cling-wrap on a spool
- Furniture straps
- Pads of paper and pens
- Carpet runner
- Tarps in case of rain
- Mattress bags
- Large trash bags or “contractor bags” to line the inside of ALL moving boxes if moving in rain or snow
- Space bags (requires vacuum cleaner to remove air)
- Box cutter or knife
- Duct tape
- Roof rack for car
- Lock for storage locker
- Zip ties, twist ties and bungee cords
- Variety of Ziploc bags – snack, sandwich and freezer sizes
- Work Gloves
- Rubber gloves for messy, wet stuff you would rather not touch
- Cleaning supplies
- Dust rags & towels
- Broom & dust pan
Make Packing Kits to Save Time
A Packing Kit is a shoebox sized container that contains everything you need to easily pack a box in that room. Put one in each of the main areas in your home to make packing easy and efficient! Always put the items BACK in the box and you will ALWAYS know where it is.
If you want to make packing REALLY easy, ask us about our Whole House Packing Service as part of your move with Cummings Moving Company. Request a Free Moving Quote.
Packing Kit Checklist – What You’ll Need
- Clear plastic shoebox or small, sturdy cardboard box
- Big roll of packing tape with dispenser
- TWO thick black markers
- Packing labels and color-coded dots if you are using a moving system
- Several Ziploc bags ranging in size from small, medium to freezer sized (to easily package hardware and cords)
- Twist or zip ties (for cords)
- Dust cloth
- Pad of paper and pen (for notes)
TIP: Keep a roll of bubble wrap and sheets packing paper near each kit.
Compare DIY to a Professional Packing Job
Is this starting to sound like too much work? Chances are your time is valuable and packing for your move is not the best way to spend it. Consider having your moving company pack your home. It is something they do every day. They are fast, efficient and understand what it takes to make sure your belongings get from point A to point B in great shape. Ask Cummings Moving Company for a free, whole-house packing quote as part of your move with us.
Cummings Moving Company | Residential & Small Business Moving & Storage | San Francisco Movers
Cummings Moving Company is a family owned and operated moving & storage company proud of its well-established reputation in San Francisco and throughout the region – reflected in their extended residential, small business and Realtor referrals. The company is a female, minority, and veteran-owned and operated moving company with over 45 years of exceptional client service – spanning the entire country and beyond. For more information about quality, stress-free moving, in San Francisco please call 415-387-4000 or from the Peninsula call 650-629-3000. Request a Free Moving Quote HERE or continue to explore our website and San Francisco Blog.
The advice on our website and blog is provided as a courtesy and is intended for informational purposes only. It is offered as-is with no warranty expressed or implied. We hope it provides you with helpful information that you can use.