We all know that when you declutter before a move you win! Staging or selling you home is easier, moving is less stuff is less expensive and your stress level is reduced because you know that your new home will be filled with things you REALLY want… AND you’ll have fewer boxes to unpack! So how do you declutter before a move? What is the timeline and the game plan? Great questions.
Declutter Before a Move – 11 Easy Steps – Numbers 1-5
- Plan, plan, plan… Give yourself 6 Months of time ahead of things to declutter before a move. Make a list and assign dates to each task. Keep a singular notebook/folder to list all research and keep phone numbers so you don’t waste time looking for things you’ve already figured out. Then attack your written list of ‘to do’ items. Time: 6mos before move.
- If you’re a procrastinator, get the help of a friend to keep you on track. During big projects, it will keep you focused, especially if you’re easily distracted by sentimental items. Time: 6mos before move.
- Find places to donate items and check online to see who picks up and set a date. Even if it’s a target date, get it on the books! Consider veterans associations; senior living centers; preschools. Time: 4mos before move.
- Painless purging! Buy little stickers and create a RED-YELLOW-GREEN system for the larger pieces around your house. Red = Goes on items that need to go away as you declutter before a move . Yellow = Consider again later. Green = Things that will make the move with you to your new home! Time: 4mos before move
- Review your Yellow & Green stickered items and see if some of THOSE can be changed to a Red sticker. Time: 4mos before move
Declutter Before a Move and Stage Home for Sale
This gets tricky. Start with your Realtor. Ask THEM what needs to stay and what needs to go. They may even suggest you put some things into storage. Remember, if you plan to declutter before a move and even stage your home for sale, make sure to set your END DATE as the date you plan to list and show your home!
Look for the next post in this Declutter Before a Move series: See Declutter Before a Move – Pt 3
If you missed Declutter Before a Move – Pt 1… CLICK HERE
Cummings Moving Company | Residential & Small Business Moving & Storage | San Francisco Movers
Cummings Moving Company is a family owned and operated moving & storage company proud of its well-established reputation in San Francisco and throughout the region – reflected in their extended residential, small business and Realtor referrals. The company is a female, minority, and veteran-owned and operated moving company with over 45 years of exceptional client service – spanning the entire country and beyond. For more information about quality, stress-free moving, in San Francisco please call 415-387-4000 or from the Peninsula call 650-629-3000. Request a Free Moving Quote HERE or continue to explore our website and San Francisco Blog.
The advice on our website and blog is provided as a courtesy and is intended for informational purposes only. It is offered as-is with no warranty expressed or implied. We hope it provides you with helpful information that you can use.
Photo Credit – A special note of appreciation to Lee Abel for her wonderful photos.