All you need to declutter before a move is at your fingertips! In our last post, we looked at Steps 1-5 as you plan to declutter before a move. Now, we come down the home stretch and look at the last few things you need to consider as you plan out your time-line and take the action that is going to make this move the easiest move you have ever done! If you need to find Steps 1-5 – CLICK HERE! If you are ready for the rest of the list… Read on!
Declutter Before a Move – 11 Easy Steps – Numbers 6-11
- Now is the time to start physically moving things around and really declutter before a move. Divide your living space into three separate areas: What goes with you… What gets donated… What goes in the trash. Time: 3mos before move.
- Valuable items and some furniture can be sold. Consider Ebay or Craigslist or an open house with price tags on items you wish to sell. Be prepared to bargain. Time: 2mo before move.
- Do two things at once! Throw a casual “pot-luck and pre-going away party!” Then ask friends to each take home items they can use. Genius! Time: 1mo before move.
- Feel free to pack some items along the way when the urge strikes you. Just make sure it’s nothing you need in the short term. As you declutter before a move it will make life lighter, easier, and…happier!
- Declutter before a move by asking friends if they know of someone who needs things or check with your local fire departments to see if there’s a family or two in your area that recently lost it all in a fire and reach out. Time: 3wks before move.
- As you consider what’s left, relook at every item that you wish to move and ask yourself, honestly, “Could I live without this?” See if you can part with 3-5 more items… Yes, in every room! Time: 3wks before move.
Declutter Before a Move to Relax as You Pack
Okay, so that leaves 3wks to actually pack for the move. Here’s the great news… Because you took the time to declutter before a move it means you have less to pack, move and unpack. THAT in and of itself is a relaxing thought! The other great news is that you likely packed a few boxes along the way, so in the remaining weeks things will be much easier. The BEST news is that you know that when you unpack those boxes into your new home, they will be filled with things you planned to bring, things you need and want and the keepsakes and treasures that the mean the most.
For some readers, even though you plan to declutter before a move, the thought of packing may STILL stress you out. If that’s the case, you can always have Cummings Moving Company do the packing for you! Either way, when you follow the steps outlined in this 3-Part Series, and declutter BEFORE you pack to move, THIS move is going to be a piece of cake!
Cummings Moving Company | Residential & Small Business Moving & Storage | San Francisco Movers
Cummings Moving Company is a family owned and operated moving & storage company proud of its well-established reputation in San Francisco and throughout the region – reflected in their extended residential, small business and Realtor referrals. The company is a female, minority, and veteran-owned and operated moving company with over 45 years of exceptional client service – spanning the entire country and beyond. For more information about quality, stress-free moving, in San Francisco please call 415-387-4000 or from the Peninsula call 650-629-3000. Request a Free Moving Quote HERE or continue to explore our website and San Francisco Blog.
The advice on our website and blog is provided as a courtesy and is intended for informational purposes only. It is offered as-is with no warranty expressed or implied. We hope it provides you with helpful information that you can use.
Photo Credit – A special note of appreciation to Lee Abel for her wonderful photos.